What is Included in a Home Inspection?
When you’re on the market for a house, it’s always important to hire a home inspector to thoroughly survey a property you’re interested in to ensure that the sellers aren’t hiding major problems you’ll have to deal with down the line. Before you seal the deal on that new home you have your eye on, read our overview of what is included in a home inspection, and then get in touch with The BrickKicker. We’ve been diligently serving areas like Chicagoland, Athens, GA, and California for years. We’re InterNACHI and Ashi certified, so you know you’re getting a comprehensive analysis of the state of your next home by seasoned pros. Whether you’re here for commercial, environmental, or residential inspections, we’re here to help.
Home Inspection Checklist
- – Foundation: We’ll look at window alignment and for signs of sagging to ensure that the property’s foundation concrete doesn’t need any work.
- – Safety: Make sure all of your fire alarms and sprinklers work. Also check the condition of your stairs, stair rails, carbon monoxide detectors, and garage door openers.
- – Grounds: Check the condition of the driveway, for leaks from the septic tank, make sure the property has proper drainage, that the fencing is sturdy, and that the sidewalks are in good shape.
- – Paint: In general, we’ll make sure that all the surfaces in your house are in good condition, and that they don’t need a paint job.
- – Electricity: Ensure the wiring is sound, that all of the outlets work, that the circuit breakers are working, that all of the wiring is up to code, and that all of the lights turn on.
- – Plumbing: Make sure that none of your pipes are leaking, that your shower and sinks are pouring hot and cold water correctly, and that all of the toilets are in working order.
- – Attic and Basement: Your home inspector will ensure that your attic and basement have proper insulation, make sure that they’re structurally sound, and check for water damage.
- – Garage: Check that the foundation is solid in your garage, that your garage’s windows, ceiling, frame, roof, and electrical system are all functioning and up-to-code.
- – Appliances: Ensure that your washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, fridge, and any other major appliances are in good condition.
- – Furnace and AC: Inspect your furnace, central ac, water heater, chimney, and fireplace.
Get in Touch With the BrickKicker
If you have any more questions about what is covered in a home inspection, including having your sump pump checked, simply contact us with your specific questions. We look forward to making sure your home is truly worth what you’re paying for it, and helping to prevent you from having headaches down the line. We hope you’ve enjoyed our overview of what is included in a home inspection, and encourage greater Chicago home buyers to check out our blog for more informative reads like how to prepare for a home inspection.