A sump pump is a crucial piece of equipment for many homeowners, but it has a lifespan just like any other appliance. Just how long does a sump pump last on average? You can typically expect around 7 years out of a brand new model. However, it’s a good idea to keep tabs on your sump pump to ensure that it’s free of malfunctions – or you could end up with a big mess on your hands. Let’s go into some common problems and guidelines.
Common Sump Pump Issues
So you know how long do sump pumps last, why do some models malfunction? Here are some key warning signs that your equipment isn’t working properly:
- – Pump won’t engage: Loose-fitting lids and debris can lead to clogged lines.
- – Pump is old: After 7 years, start planning for a replacement.
- – Base is rusting: Corrosion promotes bacteria, which can clog your system.
- – Pump stays on: If your pump won’t turn off, it’s working too hard and runs the risk of failure.
- – Power outages: Power surges can interfere with your pump’s performance, particularly if you don’t have surge protection technology or a backup power system.
Replacing Your Sump Pump
Many homeowners install a sump pump and forget about it over the years, so how do you remember when to replace your pump? Here are a few tips and tricks:
- – “Replace By” Sticker: A simple “replace by” sticker can save you a headache. Just write down when your system was installed and add a “replace by” date around 7 years out.
- – Wi-Fi Technology: Consider an app-based sump pump outlet that tracks your pump data. These systems will alert your smartphone when something unusual happens.
- – Backup Systems: From battery backups to second sump systems, backup protection can be a huge asset – particularly if you encounter frequent outages.
And while we recommend homeowners take a look at their sump pump periodically, we’re also happy to offer professional help with our residential home inspection services. Not only can we ensure that your pump is working properly, but we can also take a look at everything from mold testing to pest control.
Find Out More With The BrickKicker Team
If you’re wanting the peace of mind that comes with an inspection, contact us at The Brickkicker for all your home needs. Our team will make sure that your residence is safe and secure, so you can enjoy total peace of mind. Feel free to get in touch with any questions about how long do sump pumps usually last!