When the cold creeps in, the last thing you want to worry about is whether you properly prepared your home for winter. Sticking to a seasonal home maintenance checklist makes it easy to work through the areas of your home that need attention throughout the year. Before the temperature drops, work through this winter preparation checklist from The BrickKicker to ensure your home is ready to face the snow and ice ahead.
Winter Home Preparation Checklist
With so many nooks and crannies in your home, it can be hard to focus on where to prepare your home for winter. The BrickKicker finds it helpful to break down your winter preparation checklist into different sections, allowing you to tackle each section thoroughly before moving on.
Lawn, Garden, and Deck
- – Cover patio furniture or store it in a garage or shed to prevent.
- – Aerate your lawn and apply winterizing fertilizer.
- – Trim overgrown branches away from power lines.
- – Turn off exterior faucets, draining water to prevent pipes from bursting.
Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning
- – Schedule an HVAC inspection and cleaning, ensuring your technician flushes systems and replaces air filters. This should also include maintenance on your hot water heater.
- – Check your fireplace and exterior walls for drafts.
- – Remove air conditioning units from windows or cover with insulated liners.
- – Change ceiling fans to rotate in reverse direction to help circulate warm air.
Roof and Gutters
- – Clean gutters and remove all debris.
- – Ensure downspouts extend away from the house to prevent flooding.
- – Replace any loose or missing roof shingles to prevent leaks.
- – Seal any small openings or vents to keep rodents from entering your home.
Windows and Doors
- – Change out window and door screens for storm doors.
- – Check for drafts and fill in with caulk where applicable.
- – Apply weatherstripping to keep drafts at bay.
- – Ensure your windows are free of cracks or gaps, while also checking for any decay around the frames.
Stay Safe and Warm with The BrickKicker
Working through this winter home preparation checklist will keep you warm and save on energy costs, but if any concerns come up along the way, The BrickKicker can help! Our certified and experienced team can inspect your home and spot issues before they develop into major problems, saving you time, money, and worry throughout the winter. Schedule an inspection today, and enjoy a cozy winter!