Cybercriminals have become quite savvy in their attempts to lure people in and get you to click on a link or open an attachment.
Know the Basics
Keep your business safe by reviewing the following tips:
- Spam is the electronic equivalent of junk mail. The term refers to unsolicited, bulk – and often unwanted – email.
- Phishing attacks use email or malicious websites (clicking on a link) to collect personal and financial information or infect your machine with malware and viruses.
- Spam, phishing and other scams aren’t limited to just email. They’re also prevalent on social networking sites. The same rules apply on social networks: When in doubt, throw it out. This rule applies to links in online ads, status updates, tweets, and other posts.
Avoid Becoming a Cyber Victim
- Don’t reveal personal or financial information in an email, and do not respond to email solicitations for this information. This includes following links sent in email.
- Before sending or entering sensitive information online, check the security of the website.
- Pay attention to the website’s URL. Malicious websites may look identical to a legitimate site, but the URL may use a variation in spelling or a different domain (e.g., .com versus .net).
- If you are unsure whether an email request is legitimate, try to verify it by contacting the company directly. Contact the company using information provided on an account statement, not information provided in an email.
- Keep a clean machine. Keep all software on Internet-connected devices – including PCs, smartphones, and tablets – up to date to reduce the risk of infection from malware.
What to Do if You Are a Victim
- Report it to the appropriate people within the organization, including network administrators. They can be alert for any suspicious or unusual activity.
- If you believe your financial accounts may be compromised, contact your financial institution immediately and close the account(s).
- Watch for any unauthorized charges to your account.
The BrickKicker is committed to excellence and being your consultant throughout your commercial property involvement.
—for your Commercial Clients—
Peace of mind with The BrickKicker!